Mental health charity, Plymouth & District Mind Association: formed in 1984 and delivers mental health support to the people of Plymouth, West Devon, South Hams, Caradon and North Cornwall.
In 2004 Plymouth Mind led a local consortium of 5 organisations, including the local office of a national organisation, Working Links, who have extensive experience in delivering Work Programme initiatives across the England, including Plymouth, in an EQUAL project looking at barriers to employment for refugees and migrant workers.
This was, in turn, part of a transnational partnership: MEET (Migrants Empowerment Education and Training). This project ceased in 2007; during the time we established a network of willing employers and employment support agencies to take workers on placement.
- We assisted refugees and migrants in solving their social issues as an holistic approach to supporting them into the labour market;
- We have since developed and transferred a level 3 community mental health training programme to Slovenia, Poland, Greece and Lithuania;
- We are well versed in developing training programmes with 2 members of staff having Cert Ed qualifications and Graham Nicholls also an NVQ assessor and approved internal verifier with City and Guilds and the Open College Network. Graham Nicholls also holds a media production qualification;
- We also operate a UK Online Centre, helping people learn to use computers and the internet;
- We network regularly with the Chamber of Commerce and the Job Centre at strategic levels, locally.
Plymouth Mind employs 13 staff, currently and many of them facilitate support groups, such as “Military in Mind”, “Explore Your Anger” and “How to manage your money”. Members of staff responsible for creating these groups have developed their own expertise in these niche areas.
Plymouth Mind begins delivering its “Recovery College” curriculum in January 2013 and began its IMPRESS (Innovative & Meaningful Post Recruitment Employment Support Service) project (funded by Interreg) in October 2012 to help disadvantaged groups sustain themselves in employment.
Plymouth & District Mind Association
Mr. Graham Nicholls (Financial Controller)
Tel: +44 (0) 1752 512280 or Mob: +44 (0)7595219020
E-mail:[email protected], [email protected]
Website: http://www.plymouthmind.com/info/ or http://www.plymouthmind.org.uk/ Facebook page: Plymouth Mind Facebook